Tuesday 10 August 2010

Needles are smaller than they used to be.

Seriously, they must be. I went for a tetanus booster today (a garden related accident prompted me to check and sure enough, I was due...) and I barely felt a thing. I'm sure jabs used to really hurt when I was little ... but maybe I just fussed a lot. As mentioned previously, Joshua didn't moan one bit about his, so I was glad that I didn't break into sobs, or collapse, or anything like that. Just took it like a man.
Having said that, playing the piano tonight (in a somewhat vicious fashion) did suddenly cause my arm to go very achy. I was practising for church on Sunday (my piano debut in this 'new' (been here two years) church, which is scary) just before Joshua's bedtime. I finished and asked if there were any songs I could play for him. "Baa baa black sheep, and Wheels on the Bus, but baa baa first." So I played through them both (he wandered off during Wheels, but did come back before the end, which was jolly decent of him). Then we had a crack at Twinkle Twinkle little star. I asked if there were any others. He sort of mumbled something, and I asked what he said. "Can you play ... uh ... moto the goat?"
Me: "I don't think I know that one sweetheart, where do you sing it?" (I figured it must be from nursery or something)
J: "Nowhere - just practise it and then you'll know it"
Me: "Uh ... so in order to know the song, I just have to practise it?" (Can you see the flaw in his plan?)
J: "Yeah."
So we had a go. This is as far as we got:
Moto the goat had a very shiny coat, (that was my line)
He lived far away down the lane (Joshua's)
Then I played those lines a couple of times (he was right - it did need practice) I then asked what came next.
"The goat fell into the lock" (Joshua's line, but perhaps you'd guessed)
I needed clarification on what sort of lock we were talking about - a canal lock might have made some sense, but I couldn't see how a goat could fit in the door type lock.
Me: "What type of lock was it sweetie?"
J: "It was the locky thing with a key - the goat fell in, and that's the end of the song"

So there you go, now you know the song too. Except the tune, that is, which is pretty much made up as you go along. Hope everyone's summer is going well (unless you're on the bottom half of the planet, in which case I hope winter's going well).

1 comment:

  1. My toes were numb it was so cold this morning! And I was wearing trainers. And it was sunny today. And its 15 or 16 degrees!

    ReplyDelete