Tuesday 31 August 2010

The letter R

Regulars may recall that nursery have a 'letter of the week'. (Well, fortnight, actually, but let's not be picky).
Having been away, we'd somewhat lost track of what letter it might be, but I thought it was probably R. We discussed this, and Joshua wanted to take his sword (he's still not too hot on the whole letters thing - I said maybe next week). As it happens, he was clutching a frisbee as we left the house. Said frisbee had the words 'flying ring' emblazoned upon it (ok, it wasn't a frisbee, it had a hole in it - more like an aerobee, if you remember them).
We got to nursery (him still clutching frisbee) to discover that it was, indeed, the letter R. I asked what he was holding and he said 'a frisbee'. At this point, I assured him that it was, in fact, a Ring. A flying Ring if you're going for accuracy, but a Ring nonetheless. This threw him slightly, and I suspect he was left slightly befuddled as I hastily departed.
On the journey home after pickup, the whole frisbee/flying Ring topic resurfaced. I explained that if we called it a Ring, then it could count for an 'R' and thus earn him a sticker.

"Sometimes, you can call something more than one name", I concluded.

He piped up, "Yes, I can call it Ralph, or Frisbee, or little throwing thingy".

No comments:

Post a Comment